Hola a Todos!
I had a great week, yet again. It was a lot more relaxing as I am really starting to get settled in, and adjusting to the culture. My day to day life has consisted of cashing in on the two hours for siestas every day after school (although not much of a change from what I do at UNI.), working out, and hanging with Cruz at night. When I'm home, I often hang out in my bed. This would be considered very strange, but using a Celsius to Fahrenheit converter, I realized that our apartment is kept at 50 degrees daily. So, I obviously cuddle down in my sheets, read, and talk to my family and friends to pass some time before or after my nap. Now that I am no longer sore from adjusting to all the walking, I am going to start working out everyday. Today was a beautiful day, so I headed to El Parque Invierno. It is where everyone goes to workout as there are many paths and trails. It took me about fifteen minutes to get there, but it was so worth it. It was very amazing to run with such a picturesque background of the mountains, and also very head clearing. After supper, Cruz and I have gotten in the habit of reading together. Sounds sort of nerdy, but it has already helped my Spanish so much by being able to read a children's book out loud while Cruz does the dishes and corrects my pronunciation, and explains words I do not know. It's a collection by Bellatrix Potter, and turns out I can recall a few of these stories from my childhood.
This past week and weekend were very eventful aside from getting into my very thrilling routine. Last Tuesday me, Drea, and Ellie went to a bar to watch the Real Madrid, Barcelona game. Cruz explained to me that many people here do not have it on their cable, because it usually is a community event to go down to a bar with your fellow fans to watch the game. She could not have been more right. The first place we tried to go to was so packed that there wasn't even seating room outside. Yep, outside. We stood behind a huge crowd of people and decided that we were going to try somewhere else. Most places were very similar to this, but we ended up grabbing the last table pushed into a corner in another bar. It was so fun because people were starting chants and getting so into it. My host family told me I needed to choose a team, and so now I am all about Barcelona. I will require a Messi jersey after the performances I've seen so far, because he's totally a stud. I guess you could say the enthusiasm for soccer over here is not even comparable to that of in the United States. I definitely love it. :) On Thursday I got home to a slip that said I had mail. I was thrilled since I knew my family was sending me goodies. I asked Cruz where the post office was and started heading there right away. It was pouring rain, and I naturally I got lost. After ten minutes of wandering, I found it. The entire process I went through to retrieve it was such a hassle as it was really my first test of my Spanish. After a few misunderstandings had been cleared up, I got my package and headed home. Needless to say, the Reese's are half gone, one Easy Mac down, and all my Munchies devoured. I should reallyyy learn some self control, but hardly anyone snacks here. Later that night, we had our weekly meeting with our advisors Luna and Paula, and as always had a ton of fun. After that, we went and played some cards with a few Spaniards we've met while here, and then walked around the city as many people go out and about on Thursday nights. On Friday, Tino came over and prepared a French dish. It ended up being duck with marmalade over the top. I loved it so much that Tino made it again the next night. Tino and Cruz insisted on me taking pictures of the various dishes for my dad, since I told them that he loves cooking too. Although, not so sure how extensive your French cooking knowledge is, dad. We had mini dancing lessons in the dining room again, as Tino has a lot of fun trying to teach me how to dance. Cruz is a great dancer, and I'm getting better every time. I can't say enough how fortunate I was with my family, I love spending time with them.
While this was all a lot of fun, I had an amazing day yesterday. Me and Ellie decided to explore the local market. It was absolutely marvelous, lasting a many blocks. There was music playing, and stands of every kind open. Not to mention one of the most beautiful days here yet. It's something that I think everyone needs to experience. After the market Ellie, being aware of my bad experience and unnatural love for hamburgers, decided she wanted to try and take me to this hamburger place her and her family went to once. We got so lost, walking around for about an hour only to find it closed. However, we discovered a completely new area of town, some new parks, and gorgeous looking buildings. It was hands down one of the best days I've had here yet. I also finally got a picture with the statue of Woody Allen. I think I forgot to mention in previous blog entries that Woody Allen came to Oviedo to shoot Vicky and Christina Barcelona. He was quoted, "Oviedo is Delicious, Exotic, Beautiful, Clean, Pleasant, Peaceful, and Kind to Pedestrians. It's as if it doesn't belong to this world, as if it could not possibly exist ... Oviedo is like a Fairy Tale (Oviedo Es Como Un Cuento De Hadas)." I find all of this to be completely true. The people here genuinely care about the city so much, because they all take pride in keeping it very clean. The streets are wet on my way to school everyday whether it rains for not, because they hose down the streets to keep it looking great. Every passing day I fall more and more in love with this city, and am reassured that this will be the experience of a lifetime. Even though it has hardly been a month, I could easily envision myself living here if I weren't so close to my family and friends at home. Crazy right? I mainly decided to stay here this weekend because I haven't been here a full weekend. I met a student who came here last year who returned for a month to visit again, and he said he regretted traveling every single weekend because when it came time for him to leave, he hadn't spent enough time in Oviedo and with his family. I feel the same way, and fully want to get the best cultural experience I can. I do, though, completely intend on taking advantage of my traveling opportunities. While here, I definitely want to hit London, Lisbon, and Paris. In Spain, I want to make sure I hit the south such as Sevilla and Granada, go to Barcelona, as well the islands Spain owns; The Grand Canaries and Ibiza.

Hey Bean!
ReplyDeleteIts great to hear about your experiences, I am so enlightened by the visionary's you give me when you talk about the city you live and its surroundings. Its awesome that not only did you fulfill your dream of getting out of the U.S. and into a different culture, but you have further dreams of traveling in all of the surrounding countries even outside of Spain itself. While you there, if you have a chance, take it! This could be a chance of a lifetime, you never know what the future holds. My blog is for school by the way, I get credit for blogging for my Wellness class, so its a little boring but its interesting. Buenos Noches my friend-surprised? I know some spanish, but I am sure its different than the spanish in spain.