Saturday, March 3, 2012

Paradise in Oviedo

Hello Everyone!

This week has been one for the books. After Portugal, I was afraid I would be in a minor depression coming from a weekend filled with glorious weather. However, these last two weeks have been just as entirely gorgeous. Just about every day hit 60 degrees, and I would say we definitely took advantage of it. It also helped that I feel almost completely recovered from my cold. This is mildly surprising given my busy weekend! Saturday I went with Cruz and Tino to their Pueblos (pueblos means small town). We went to Cruz' first, and were greeted with a  large house in beautiful countryside. She told me that her house was originally owned by her great grandmother, and that she lives here each summer. It is three stories, containing six bedrooms, three bathrooms, a large kitchen, and many gathering areas. Outside she has a lovely patio complete with a BBQ. She claims that the spacious house and outdoors are perfect for weekly family gatherings, and I can definitely imagine so. It seems like the perfect escape from city life. We ate and lounged there, then headed to Tino's town. It is near the mountains, and very noticeably colder. We weren't there long, just to pick up a bike for one of Cruz' friends. Both pueblos were very impressionable, and I was thrilled when Cruz told me that we would be returning there many weekends. When we arrived back in Oviedo that night, the city had completely transformed. Everyone was decked out in costumes, each restaurant or bar was extremely decorated, and you could hear music and fireworks all night. I went out with Cruz and Tino for a bit, so both me and Cruz sported our masks to go along with the festivities. On our way back home for dinner, we came to the end of a parade. It was so crazy! We followed it to the Cathedral where the entire plaza was filled with people. There was a stage set up, and people partying all night. Later, when I went out with my friends the above picture was taken on a street near where I live. While it was a little overwhelming, I loved every minute of it!


In contrast, the week started off a little more slowly. Monday was completely devoted to studying for my first exam in my Literature class. This is the class I have with quite possibly the most boring, monotone teacher. Thus, making paying attention in class quite the tall task. All of us that have the class met up together to study in a cafe. It was very helpful, and I left feeling very confident. The test went just as well, and I'm very happy with my results in my exams so far this semester. After school Tuesday a few of us headed to La Gorda, a statue on one of the main roads that has a bunch of benches. Because it was such a perfect day, we hung out there for a few hours reading, talking, and taking in the sun. Simultaneously, I guess we were putting on quite the show. As I've mentioned in previous blog entries, Spaniards are very blunt. They stare all they want, and tell you exactly what is on their mind. As we were just sitting there relaxing, the nearby benches filled up quickly. We had people constantly talking to us, asking where we were from, and laughing at us? It was so bizarre, but I guess we were doing the same. Pretty interesting to think that we were all sitting there talking about each other in our different languages, and neither party having a clue what the other was saying. There was even a guy who stopped to tell us we were foreigners. Like we haven't noticed...Wednesday brought yet more sunshine, so after school Michelle, Emillie, and I packed lunches and headed to El Parque Invierno. We hid our lunch food, and went for run. Safe to say I'm pretty out of shape, but it was nice to get a workout in. Thursday at our meeting with our advisors, we played the Spanish version of Scattegories (My FAV game ever), but it proved a LOT more difficult. We had a lot of fun, and I'm really starting to look forward to the weekly reunions. The rest of the week has flown by, and I have enjoyed the great weather. My weekend is about to get a lot more exciting, though, as I leave for Madrid tonight. We are going to Real Madrid soccer game tomorrow night!! It will be amazing, the games seem to have such a great atmosphere! Also, it will be fun to watch Christiano Ronaldo. He is not only a fine looking man, but an outstanding player.

As the weeks have continued to fly by, I have noticed still more cultural differences. As I continually mention, I'm so surprised with how blunt the Spanish people are. It seems like social acceptability is just up in the air, and nonexistent. This week, while walking home, two construction workers yelled, "RUBIA" across the plaza to each other, pointing me out. This caused many people to stop and stare as I walked by. Pretttttttty awkward. I also have friends who have told me that their host families never fail to point out their zits or other flaws. Thank goodness Cruz doesn't do this. However, even my Vocab professor is very blunt. She stood in front of our class demonstrating almond shaped eyes by putting her index fingers in the corner of her eyes and stretching her face. I was shocked! But, she has told us along with other people, that everyone speaks their minds always, and that most of the time they have good intentions. For example, she told us that instead of calling someone fat (gordo) you would call them gordito, and it's not offensive. It's pretty crazy how those two letters completely change the connotation of the word.  I don't think I'd be fine with either, frankly. Also, surprisingly, I was told that the police are very lax. I was talking to Danny yesterday, and he said that the police are never called, or really used unless it is something extreme. He said that for someone to get arrested you would have to set something on fire, or kill someone. He said they never break up parties, fights, or anything of that nature, that they are almost nonexistent. So strange when you compare this to the United States, perhaps crime rates are lower here? I thought that it was very interesting, I'll have to see what I can get away with. Just kidding mom and dad :)
 Other things I've noticed that are very different from home:
How many times I have seen/done things since my arrival....
Seen a gas station- 1
Charged my Spanish phone-3
Had actual take home homework-3
Seen alcohol in vending machines (even at school)?- countless
Seen any type of drive through eatery- 0 (like I have mentioned, no one is ever in a rush)

Random information, but surprising nonetheless.





No comments:

Post a Comment